Monday 24th July
- Planned meetings re IT Helpdesk system – ongoing maintenance and development
- Late evening opening – the Library has been open 9:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday during June and July. From 31st July we open 9:00am-8:00pm Monday to Thursday and 9:00-5:00 Friday (closed weekends). This is mainly because exam resits take place in the first two weeks of August. For staffing, some of the semester only part time staff come in and work extra hours and some daytime staff cover the rest. We keep these opening hours until start of semester when we are open 24/7.
- There are campus Open Days starting 30th September – we usually have an Information Services stand at the event so it means working on a Saturday. It is a good event to be involved in and it is great to have the opportunity to talk to prospective students and their parents.
There are student ambassadors who show people round and we are just updating the information that we give to them telling them about the Library and Information Services.
- I’ve had various enquiries from around the University about using spaces in the Library and Learning Commons especially for enrolment and welcome events. It’s about finding a balance between the space being available for open access use by everyone and making areas available for specific activities or events.
- IT Helpdesk – we have staff off on holiday this week so I covered the IT Helpdesk phone and tickets at lunchtime
- We have a cross team meeting once every 6 weeks between Academic and Learner Services and Resource and Facility Services. We take it in turn to take the minutes/notes although this gets out of sync sometimes so I pick it up. With meetings like this that are internal to our dept and mainly operational, I’m in favour of us having notes and actions from the meeting rather than minutes as basically I don’t think we have the time or resource for the latter. Also I type them up on a laptop while the meeting is going on as it saves time. It is good to have opportunities for discussions between teams and helpful to keep track of what is happening with new developments.
Topics discussed this time included the role of the role of the IS/Library reps, journal requests, book repairs, requests for book orders, law reports review and resource subscriptions. We also discussed the library refurbishment enabling works.
- Comms – posted to Information Services social media accounts. Mainly about the enabling works in the Library and the access to spaces and resources. Also followed up various people about posters and banners.
- Library Management System reports – spent a couple of hours with our Systems Librarian looking at Alma reports. What I would like is a personalised dashboard although once we’ve been looking at it most of the reports that I am interested in are in the standard Fulfilment/Circulation or Inventory dashboards. It’s good to dedicate some time to system rather than people stuff and have a look at what we can generate which is useful and relevant for service development. There are some issues that need looking at as far as the user/patron data that is fed into the LMS from our University student information systems and how we can use this effectively.